Pronunciation – rhymes with every.
Bevere is located some 4 kms North West of the centre of Worcester. It sits just above the River Severn and its flood meadows in a low lying gently undulating landscape of small fields of arable, pasture and horticulture. While elevated above the flood meadows much of the settlement lies low in the surrounding landscape so that it remains largely hidden from view.
Bevere was designated as a conservation area in 1975 and is one of 3 conservation areas near one another. The area borders the River Severn to the west and offers views from the higher ground on Bevere Lane towards the church at Claines and across what would have been the pleasure grounds and parkland of Bevere House, the Hawford conservation area can be glimpsed.
Bevere Green is accessed via two narrow lanes which were the former carriage drives to the various gentlemen’s houses congregated around it
History of Bevere
In 1051 King Hardicanute sent officials to Worcester to collect the Danegeld tax. They were assaulted and murdered. Not surprisingly troops arrived some months later to punish the rebels who, being warned, escaped to Bevere island. After sacking and burning the city the soldiers made for the camp. Four unsuccessful attacks were made ending in a truce.
After payment of a fine the citizens were allowed to return home. Centuries later the island was again a place of refuge for those fleeing the city to avoid the plague.
“ Bevere was a retreat of the inhabitants of Worcester during the plague of 1637; and is now a good and favourite bathing-place. It contains a mansion; commands a fine view of the Abberley and the Malvern hills; and has a post office, of the name of Bevere-Green, under Worcester”John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales; 1870-1872
Richard Moon Chairman of the London and North Western Railway from June 1861 until he retired on 22 February 1891. He lived in Bevere from 1849 to 1863.
He was noted for making unexpected inspections of the railway,
but the signalmen got wise to him.
When he was spotted travelling towards the east, they would telegraph ahead “Moonlight tonight”. This was the origin of the expression Moonlighting.
Treadway Russell Nash (1724–1811) was an English clergyman, now known as an early historian of Worcestershire and the author of Collections for the History of Worcestershire, an important source document for Worcestershire county histories. Died at his house in Bevere.
This possibly unsafe cast iron bridge, crosses a branch of the River Severn to join the tiny Bevere Island. It is said to have been built in 1844, as compensation to the landowner Mr Moon for some inconvenience he presumably suffered when a weir was constructed, and a lock was built on the adjacent leg of the Severn. It was intended for pedestrians and cattle. Bevere Bridge is a superb example of Victorian craftsmanship probably brought down the Severn on a “flote”, a raft with sides. The first American Locomotive travelled in a similar manner from Stourbridge down to Gloucester
The site can only be approached on foot, via footpaths through fields from Bevere village.
was Grade II listed in 1985.